– Pooling provides “insurance” (can be very important in smaller studs or when selling semen;
– Improves overall performance when subfertile boars cannot be identified;
– Improves the efficiency of processing and packaging semen.
– Averages in subfertile boars and leaves them in the population;
– Averages best boars as well – reducing their overall contribution;
– Prevents linking paternity to progeny (would have to record every insemination dose with the corresponding sow;
– Requires higher sperm doses to “compensate” for subfertile boars.