- All plastics contain potential migrants that can affect the activity and safety of
the packaged produce.
- Reprotoxicity has been demonstrated by direct contact between the migrants
and the spermatozoa. BADGE causes mainly miscarriages, while Surfynol and
lactones affect the fecundation. Surfynol affects proteins in the cells.
- In most of the cases, NIAS caused reprotoxicity.
- All NIAS here tested are quite common in food packaging materials;
- Identification and quantification of migrants, including NIAS, is extremely
- Cytometry doesn’t provide enough sensitivity and detailed information about
*Dr. Cristina Nerín